An update on my hugul pot experiment

I previously discussed my hugul pot experiment. Well it’s been a few months since my seeds went in and I’m finally starting to see some results. We’ve been picking approximately one squash a week from each hugul pot, though we have been getting roughly the same production from the non-hugul pot as well. Here is one of the yellow squash pots:

null

I have definitely noticed that the hugul pots have more yellow leaves than the pot that contains just planting mix. This is most likely caused by the wood taking up the available nitrogen as it decays, and supplementing this with fertilizer hasn’t really made a difference. I’m starting to think that hugul pots may take some time to get established, so I’m not fretting things quite yet. It’s great to be able to pick squash, and hopefully we will see our production pick up in the years to come!

Growing vegetables in hugul bins (hugulkulture-derived container gardening)

After my first foray into hugul pots, I got the itch to build a few more. I did’t want to pay $8 for more 5-gallon plastic pots, and I was hoping to build something that would hold more soil. When I was looking through our shed I noticed three old plastic bins that I converted into self-watering containers last summer. These bins were just taking up space so I figured they would be perfect candidates for hugul bins!

Before I began working on the bins I started to wonder if pre-soaking the wood would make a difference. My thought was that the wood would be able to absorb water and allow the fungal life to get a head start on life. Gardening requires a lot of experimentation, so I decided to try it out. I put wood into each bin, filled the bottom 2″ with water and left them for a week:

null

I periodically rotated the wood, though I don’t think this will make a difference. To get the bins ready for planting I added drainage holes to the bottom, applied a layer of compost to the bottom, added wood, filled the bin with potting mix, added organic fertilizer, azomite and worm castings and then topped the bin with a thick layer of mulch:

null

I planted spaghetti squash in both bins and am happy to see them starting to grow. I have an area on my property that is perfect for vining vegetables, so that is why I chose these specific varieties. Curious to see how this experiment goes!